Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Something New Under Every Sun

I love Mormon motherhood in all its stages.  Being the mother of a baby was especially wondrous.  Every time I opened the door to get a baby or toddler out of bed after a night's sleep or afternoon nap, seeing that little face lighting up at the sight of me never got old.   Every time, it was a fresh, new pleasure and made motherhood worth it.

Even my older children recognized the joy of that experience, hence the squabbles over who could race to the room fast enough to snatch the baby out of the crib. 

Recently one of my Mormon sons asked why I hadn't been posting for these many months.  To be honest, holiday preparations overcame me, and when I finally got around to thinking about another post--I couldn't think of what to say.  

Centuries ago the writer of Ecclesiastes said "There is nothing new under the sun."  I confess that as I considered this Mormon-centered blog, I began to think there was nothing new for me to say about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  After all, ten thousands of people have opined on that subject.

But there is something new, and I have recently realized what it is:  my daily experience with Gospel living.  

Every time I open up scriptures to ponder and study, I have new experiences with insights, understandings and motivation.

Every time I open up the Ensign magazine to read the words of latter-day prophets, I am newly taught and inspired--even when I've read those words many times.

Each humble prayer produces new love for a wise, merciful and always-responsive Father, and I am once again awed by the magnificent gift of love in his Son.

In the Mormon Church, we refer to Christ's gospel as "The New and Everlasting Covenant."  Even though that covenant has been around since before the earth was formed, it is always new to one who races eagerly to pick it up and interact.

My apologies to Mr. Ecclesiastes, but I think there is something new under the sun:  the always-fresh newness of the New and Everlasting Covenant, which makes every day worth living.  

3 comments:

Becky and Todd said...

So glad you are back. I was waiting for you to return to writing. I am always inspired by your wit and wisdom. Thanks for being you!!!

Emily A. said...

Hi Mims! Glad to see you post again. I love to read your writing. I have had this same experience with the Book of Mormon as the girls and I are re-reading it together for a YW project. Our family has read the Book of Mormon every year for the last 20 years, but I find something new every time.

Kathleen said...

Yay! I'm glad you've posted again. I was missing your concise and well-written little bits of wisdom. Love you!